As of February, 2018
(From Houston Relief Coordinator)
Fellow Laborers (in the Houston area),
I am Larry McHaney, the Relief Houston Coordinator for the Southwestern District of the C&MA. I have been blessed to work with many of you over the past few months and to see how God is working in the midst of the tragedy brought to so many in the Houston area.
While Hurricane Harvey caused tremendous damage and has disrupted so many lives in our area, we have an incredible opportunity to tangibly share the love of Christ in your church members and your community at large. Through the generous and sacrificial giving of Alliance church members from across the country, CAMA Services and the Southwestern District have received over $300,000 that was designated to help families recover from the devastating losses they have endured as a result of Hurricane Harvey.
Here is an opportunity to bless families with grants for up to $2000 for homeowners and $1000 for renters who suffered losses due to the hurricane.
Remember that all of these funds were given by families across the country who sacrificed and gave generously, so we want to be good stewards of these funds and to do our best to ensure their proper use while meeting legal accounting documentation requirements. Therefore, I have attached a letter that you can give to those families:
Important Details to take note of —
- Church pastors will communicate with church members and provide the two documents (on in the links above) for families who are potential grant candidates. Applications are due from families by February 28, 2018.
- The pastor (and an elder) will collect, prioritize, recommend, sign and submit all grant applications to the Relief Houston Coordinator by March 5, 2018.
- The local pastor (or pastor’s designee) should make a reasonable attempt to ensure that the homeowner and renter information is correct and meets the grant criteria.
- The Relief Houston Coordinator may schedule a visit to the home to inspect the completed work.
- All grant applications will be evaluated by the District Superintendent and the Relief Houston Coordinator and a determination of funding will be made by March 15, 2018. The list of funded grants will be communicated to pastors who will inform families of the status of their proposal.
- Grant funds will be sent to the requesting church either by electronic transfer into your benevolence fund or checks to individual families will be sent to the church for the pastor (or pastor’s designee) to present to the family by March 31, 2018. I will discuss the payment options with each church that submits grant applications.
If you have questions, please contact me at ReliefHouston@sdwcma.org or at (281) 755-6231.